Virtual Visit to the Alaskan Iditarod

I chose Kristy Berrington as my musher during the Iditarod because she is good at racing.  She is also young.  She is smart on the trails.

I read Silver during the Iditarod.  It takes place in a cold place in America.  The main character is Abigail.  I made a prediction that the dad would crash in the race because I think that it sounds like he might.  The girl was talking about her life.  She had a puppy on her birthday.  She was teaching the puppy how to do the Iditarod.  She was interested in how the puppy had a brown eye and a blue eye.  She thought her dad might take the puppy if it was strong.  I think the girl getting her own puppy for her birthday is exciting because she really wanted to go in a sled race when she was old enough.

I learned a lot about mushing during the race.  The dogs pull on the chains.  They want to run and run and run.  The dogs are very smart.  It is hard work for the mushers and the dogs, but they are good at racing.  They love to sleep in their straw in the cold.  The sled dogs sometimes eat moose stew.

I made a list of strong Iditarod verbs to use in my writing.  I chose eat, run, care, blow, yip, jump, snack, and bump.

1 thought on “Virtual Visit to the Alaskan Iditarod

1. Hello there. I am one of the volunteer commenters from the Student Blogging Challenge. I hope you have enjoyed your blogging journey.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Iditarod. I read Balto a long time ago and was fascinated with the history of the race. I’m sure your book was just as exciting. Did the puppy get to be in the race? It’s long and grueling, so I’m kind of hoping the answer is no.

Cheers,
    Mrs. Fitzgerald